Your company’s sign is an extension of your brand. It is where consumers gain a first impression of your organization. Whether you are considering a new indoor or outdoor sign, it is important to create something that communicates your company’s values and personality at a glance.
While some organizations may assume that creating a sign is as simple as copying your logo and name onto a banner, that is not the best approach. Depending on the media that you want to use to create your sign, there are different factors to consider. These include your audience, viewing capability, and design limitations.
Creating a sign for your business that attracts consumers can seem like a challenge, but it doesn’t have to be. With some research, consideration, and reflection, you will be able to develop a design that works.
Planning for Your Sign
The best way to create a successful sign is to start with a plan. Taking some time and effort to build a strategy about your new sign can prevent you from being disappointed with the outcome. There are several factors that you will need to consider before you begin to build a design. These include:
- Location: Knowing the area where you will be displaying your new sign is one of the key factors in creating a successful design. This includes details such as whether it will be placed outside or inside, who is expected to see it, and more. Considering the location of your sign is key to getting the maximum impact for it.
- Size: Although many organizations believe that bigger is better when it comes to a well-created sign, that is not always the case. Deciding on the size of your new sign requires you to consider a few important things. These include the placement of your sign, type of traffic that will see it, and competition for an audience. Some of the questions to ask at this point in the creation process are how big does your sign need to be for it to be noticed? Will your audience be driving or walking by your sign? Are there other signs in the same area that you will be posting yours? If so, how large does your sign need to be, so it stands out from the others?
- Material: Signs can be made up of different materials, depending on your needs and wants. This also includes various types of mounts that are available to fit any design project. Talk to your professional sign maker about the material that is best for your design.
- Colour: When it comes to selecting the right colours for your sign, picking contrasting colours is the best choice. Using contrasting colours attracts the eye and can give your sign a professional look. It can also make the most important element of your sign stand out. Another thing to consider as you select your sign colour is how that colour will work with the location.
- Simplicity: Because of the limited capability of signs, you will need to simplify your message. For example, list the most important aspects of your services rather than clutter the sign with all your services. However, it is important not to overlook the key information that you want to include. Have a strategic plan that defines the message you want to communicate, whether it is a new service you are adding or increasing the awareness of your brand.
- Font: There are some techniques that professional sign makers use when they work with fonts — things like using a heavier type of font for important words on the sign. By varying the heaviness of the fonts, you can attract your audiences’ eyes to the important aspects of your business. Moreover, the size of your sign will also impact the type of font you use. For big banners, a large font is the best way to get your message across. Yet, for smaller lawn signs, a smaller text is sufficient. Your sign designer will be able to recommend the right type of font that fits your style.
- Negative space: Creating a sign that stands out means knowing how to use negative space; that is, how not to overcrowd your sign with too much information. Doing this can overwhelm your audience and will not be aesthetically pleasing. The best signs are the ones that contain a simple, concise message surrounded by blank space.
- Graphic/Image: Most of the time, your organization’s logo will be the main graphic featured on the sign. However, the style of your logo may need to be adjusted to fit within the confines of the sign. This means adjusting the size, pixels, thickness, or other features to make your logo or graphic visible. You may also consider adding another suitable graphic to your sign, such as coloured lines or shapes that add a visually engaging element to attract your audience.
Designing a new sign takes some time and consideration to get it done right. Creating a sign is really about expanding your brand. Most organizations develop signs to attract customers and communicate their message. Signs also help reflect a company’s values, along with the products or services they promote. Although it may seem like the easiest way to make a new sign is to simply put your company name and logo on it, that is not always the right choice. There are a number of factors to consider, including the location of your sign, the size, colour, font, and graphics, among others. While it can seem like a challenge, having a good plan in place will help you build a new sign that is successful in its purpose.
For more information about creating your next sign, call Club Ink at 416-694-1996 or contact us here.